39. SPENDING LIMITS
39.1 SPENDING LIMITS
39.2 DEFICIT SPENDING
39.3 CONSTRUCTION LIMITS
39.1 SPENDING LIMITS:
39.11 OVERALL SPENDING LIMIT ONLY FOR CHINA: A major power is not restricted in the number of BRPs it may spend in a single player turn, other than by the number of BRPs it has available, together with any limit on deficit spending (39.2) and its construction limit (39.3). The only exception is China:
A. China may not spend more than half its YSS BRP total (round down) in a single player turn. This calculation is made during the YSS and is unaffected by events during the ensuing year. The Chinese spending limit should be recorded for future reference.
B. Involuntary Chinese BRP losses from enemy action, such as bombing or the loss of key economic areas, do not count towards the Chinese spending limit.
C. Chinese Storm Over Asia KMT research modifies China's per turn spending limit, to a maximum of +/-6 BRPs (Storm Over Asia transition rule 6.811).
- For each step of Chinese Storm Over Asia KMT research below six steps, Chinas spending limit is decreased by one BRP.
- For each step of Chinese Storm Over Asia KMT research above six steps, China's spending limit is increased by one BRP.
In classic A World at War, rule 39.11C does not apply.
39.2 DEFICIT SPENDING:
39.21 DEFICIT SPENDING: Germany, Japan, Russia, Britain and the U.S. may spend BRPs they do not have by deficit spending.
39.22 RESTRICTIONS ON DEFICIT SPENDING: Deficit spending is subject to the following restrictions:
A. Deficit spending is limited to the value of the major power’s BRP base, minus the BRP value of any uncontrolled key economic areas (38.22).
B. Italy, France and China may not deficit spend.
- This determination is made when the expenditure is made. BRP additions which reduce a major power’s deficit may permit deficit spending later in the year.
- When calculating the deficit spending limit:
- The BRP value of the British BRP base is determined without counting Canada, South Africa, India and Australia.
- The BRP value of the Russian BRP base is determined without counting Russian ICs.
C. If war breaks out in a Summer, Fall or Winter turn, deficit spending is prohibited until the following year.
In classic A World at War, deficit spending is prohibited in 1939.
39.3 CONSTRUCTION LIMITS:
39.31 CONSTRUCTION LIMITS: Each major power may use no more than one-third, rounded down, of its current BRP base each turn for unit construction. See 27.3 for details.