44.1 THE INTELLIGENCE CATEGORY
44.2 INTELLIGENCE RESEARCH PROJECTS
44.3 INTELLIGENCE PRODUCTION PROJECTS
44.32 RUSSIAN OCCUPATION POLICIES
44.33 CHINESE OCCUPATION POLICIES
44.34 INDIAN SUBVERSION
44.35 MOSLEM UNREST
44.36 WESTERN ALLIED PARTISANS
44.1 THE INTELLIGENCE CATEGORY:
44.11 The intelligence category of research and production projects includes many of the traditional spying and signals intelligence projects, as well as projects of a more political nature.
44.2 INTELLIGENCE RESEARCH PROJECTS:
44.21 COUNTER-INTELLGENCE: The rules relating to counter-intelligence are set out in rule 45.
44.22 ESPIONAGE: The rules relating to espionage are set out in rule 46.
44.23 COVERT OPERATIONS: The rules relating to covert operations are set out in rule 47.
44.24 COMMUNIST SUBVERSION:
A. ELIGIBLE TARGETS: Each successful subversion research result allows Russia to apply a special modifier to one Axis or Russian diplomatic die roll for Hungary, Rumania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia or Greece. Subversion may not be used to modify Western Allied diplomatic die rolls.
B. REPEATED SUBVERSION ALLOWED: Russia may subvert an eligible target more than once and may subvert more than one target in the course of the game, provided it achieves more than one subversion research result.
C. ADVERSE MODIFIER GENERATED: Subversion generates an adverse modifier for Hungary, Rumania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia and Greece. Repeated subversion attempts generate cumulative adverse modifiers.
D. REACTION DIE ROLLS: The use of subversion to modify a diplomatic die roll permits a reaction die roll for the other potential subversion targets (49.634).
E. SUBVERSION RESULTS: A "3" subversion research result generates a -1 diplomatic modifier; a "4" subversion research result generates a -2 diplomatic modifier; and so on, up to a maximum subversion research result of "7+", which generates a -5 diplomatic modifier.
44.241 WHEN RESULT REVEALED: Russia reveals a successful subversion research result when it applies the subversion modifier to a diplomatic die roll. This is done after the target has been announced and before the diplomatic die roll is made. The Axis may not decline to make a diplomatic die roll for an announced target in order to avoid a subversion modifier.
44.25 ANGLO-FRENCH COOPERATION:
A. A successful Anglo-French cooperation research project improves relations between Britain and France (53.2) and may affect the French Surrender level (58.21F).
44.251 WHEN RESULTS REVEALED: Any successful Anglo-French Cooperation result is revealed at the start of the Allied player turn following the research phase in which the result is achieved.
44.3 INTELLIGENCE PRODUCTION PROJECTS:
44.31 CODEBREAKING: The rules relating to codebreaking are set out in rule 48.
44.32 RUSSIAN OCCUPATION POLICIES:
A. VLASOV CONSTRUCTION: Each Russian occupation policies result permits Germany to build one Vlasov infantry factor each turn once Germany and Russia are at war, up to a maximum construction rate of three Vlasov factors per turn.
B. PARTISANS: For each Russian occupation policies result the number of partisans allowed in Russia and eastern Poland is reduced by one, to a maximum reduction of three partisans. No Russian partisans are eliminated if Germany achieves one of these results once Russian partisans are on the board, but the result might prevent the rebuilding of one or more partisans once they are eliminated.
- Germany constructs Vlasov infantry factors (using 1-3, 2-3 or 3-3 counters) at the normal BRP cost.
- Vlasov units may be constructed in any fully supplied city in Russia or pre-war Poland controlled by the Axis at the start of their player turn, may only operate in those countries, and may not be rebuilt if eliminated.
- Germany may defer the construction of Vlasov infantry units in order to build a higher denomination Vlasov infantry unit in a subsequent turn. No more than two unbuilt Vlasov factors may be accumulated for future turns in this manner.
- Vlasov units are considered to be in their home country even when in Poland (15.33B).
44.321 WHEN RESULTS REVEALED: Russian occupation policies results are revealed during the Axis diplomatic phase if the Ukraine is selected for a diplomatic die roll or during the Axis unit construction phase in which Vlasov units are first constructed.
- For each Russian occupation policies result Germany receives a +1 modifier for the Ukraine diplomatic die roll, to a maximum modifier of +3.
- The research point cost of Russian occupation polices is reduced by one if the Ukraine has activated as a German minor ally (a “10” diplomatic result for the Ukraine).
44.33 CHINESE OCCUPATION POLICIES:
A. WANG CONSTRUCTION: A Chinese occupation policies result (42.26E) permits Japan to build one Wang infantry factor each turn, up to a limit of one 1-2 and one 2-2 infantry unit for each of Peking, Nanking, Shanghai, Canton and Chungking controlled by Japan.
44.331 WHEN RESULTS REVEALED: The Chinese occupation policies result is revealed during the Japanese unit construction phase in which Wang units are first constructed.
- Japan constructs Wang infantry factors (using 1-2 or 2-2 counters) at the normal BRP cost.
- Wang infantry may be constructed in any fully supplied city in China or Manchuria controlled by the Japanese at the start of their player turn and may only operate in those countries.
- Japan may defer the construction of a 1-2 Wang infantry unit in order to build a 2-2 Wang infantry unit in a subsequent turn. No more than one unbuilt Wang factor may be accumulated for future turns in this manner.
44.34 INDIAN SUBVERSION:
A. INDIAN NATIONAL ARMY AND PARTISAN CONSTRUCTION: An Indian subversion result (42.26F) permits Japan to build one Indian National Army infantry factor and one Indian partisan each turn up to a limit of one 1-2 and one 2-2 infantry unit for each of Calcutta, Colombo, Dacca and Rangoon controlled by Japan, plus two Indian partisans regardless of the number of objectives controlled (72.92B, 72.93B).
44.341 WHEN RESULTS REVEALED: The Indian subversion result is revealed during the Japanese unit construction phase in which Indian National Army units or Indian partisans are first constructed.
- For details of the Indian National Army, see 72.9.
- Japan may construct up to two Indian partisans in India, whether or not Japan and Britain are at war (11.353B). Indian partisans may not be constructed in the India box.
44.35 MOSLEM UNREST:
A. INCREASED PARTISAN FORCE POOLS: Each Moslem Unrest result allows the Axis to increase their Middle Eastern partisan force pool by one (11.341A).
44.351 WHEN RESULT REVEALED: A successful Moslem Unrest result is announced during the Axis unit construction phase in which the resulting Axis Middle Eastern partisan is first constructed.
- At the start of the game, Axis construction of Middle Eastern partisans is prohibited. Each Moslem Unrest result increases the number of Axis Middle Eastern partisans which may be built by expanding the force pools for one or more of the three Middle Eastern areas in which Axis partisans may be built (Egypt; Iraq, Kuwait, Palestine, Transjordan, Lebanon/Syria and Arabia; Persia). Once the force pool for an area is increased by a Moslem Unrest production result, the effect is permanent: the force pool cannot be reduced by Allied action and the Axis may not later switch the increase to another area.
- The Axis may build one Axis partisan in each of the three Middle Eastern areas each turn, provided there are partisans in the force pool for that area. Germany pays the construction cost for Middle Eastern partisans. Axis Middle Eastern partisans may not leave the areas in which they are built.
- The maximum size of the partisan force pool for each of the three Middle Eastern areas in which Axis partisans may be built is two per area.
- Axis partisans may be built in Persia only if the Allies have declared war on Persia or activated the Persian BRP route. Axis partisans may only be built and operate in Lebanon/Syria if it is Allied-controlled. Axis partisans may only be built and operate in Arabia if it has been attacked by the Allies.
44.36 WESTERN ALLIED PARTISANS:
A. INCREASED PARTISAN FORCE POOLS: Each Western Allied partisan result allows the Western Allies to add one partisan to their force pool.
44.361 WHEN RESULT REVEALED: A successful Western Allied partisan result is announced during the Western Allied unit construction phase in which the resulting Western Allied partisan is first constructed.
- Additional Western Allied partisans may be built in any eligible location and, if eliminated, may be rebuilt in the same or a different location.
- The number of Western Allied partisans in each eligible location may not exceed the maximum limit set out in the Major Power Partisan and Minor Country Forces Tables.
44.37 RUSSIAN PARTISANS:
A. INCREASED PARTISAN FORCE POOLS: Each Russian partisan result allows Russia to add one partisan to its force pool.
44.371 WHEN RESULT REVEALED: A successful Russian partisan research result is announced during the Russian unit construction phase in which the resulting Russian partisan is first constructed.
- Additional Russian partisans may be built in any eligible location and, if eliminated, may be rebuilt in the same or a different location.
- The number of Russian partisans in each eligible location may not exceed the maximum limit set out in the Major Power Partisan and Minor Country Forces Tables.