63. EASTERN EUROPE
63.2 NAZI-SOVIET PACT LINE
63.3 SEPARATE CONQUESTS
63.4 ENTRY INTO EASTERN EUROPE
63.5 RESTRICTIONS ON RUSSIAN ACTIVITIES
63.11 DEFINITION OF "EASTERN EUROPE": Eastern Europe consists of:
A. Eastern Poland (10 BRPs);
B. The Baltic States (15 BRPs);
C. Bessarabia (Rumania east of the eastern front boundary - 5 BRPs); and
D. The Finnish border hexes (A46/B45/C44 - 5 BRPs).
63.12 RULES RELATING TO EASTERN EUROPE: The details relating to the four parts of eastern Europe are found in rules 64-67.
63.13 EASTERN EUROPE DISTINCT FROM RUSSIA: The Russian occupation of a part of eastern Europe does not make that area part of Russia for the purposes of weather, movement, unit construction or partisans (EXCEPTION: Russian partisans may be built and may operate in Eastern Poland - 11.33C).
63.2 NAZI-SOVIET PACT LINE:
63.21 NAZI-SOVIET PACT LINE: The dotted line running from the north edge of the board to the Black Sea is the partition line agreed to in the Nazi-Soviet pact of August 1939. The location of the Nazi-Soviet Pact line remains the same for the entire game. For game purposes, the Nazi-Soviet Pact line is considered to extend along the Russian border with Turkey and Persia.
63.3 SEPARATE CONQUESTS:
63.31 SEPARATE AREAS FOR CONQUEST PURPOSES: All four parts of eastern Europe are treated as separate areas for the determination of conquest and reconquest.
63.4 ENTRY INTO EASTERN EUROPE:
63.41 PACT LINE IGNORED ONCE WAR BREAKS OUT: Once Germany and Russia are at war, either side may enter any part of eastern Europe controlled by the other.
63.42 DECLARATION OF WAR REQUIRED TO ENTER BALTIC STATES: A declaration of war costing 10 BRPs is required to enter the Baltic States if they are neutral, even if Germany and Russia are at war.
63.43 BORDER AREAS: Bessarabia and the Finnish border hexes, if unconquered by Russia when war breaks out between Germany and Russia, remain part of Rumania and Finland, respectively, for the rest of the game. After Germany and Russia go to war, Russia may not enter Bessarabia and the Finnish border hexes without a separate declaration of war costing 10 BRPs against Rumania or Finland unless Rumania or Finland have allied or associated with Germany.
63.5 RESTRICTIONS ON RUSSIAN ACTIVITIES:
63.51 RGT RESTRICTIONS: Russian actions are limited by the RGT level, as follows:
A. COMMUNIST SUBVERSION: If the RGT level is 15 or greater, Russia may attempt to subvert a neutral Balkan minor country.
B. RUSSIAN GARRISON REQUIREMENTS: At the end of any Russian player turn in which RGT are 20 or greater:
These requirements do not apply to Russian one-factor infantry or airborne units, Russian ground and air units added to the Russian force pool after Fall 1939, Russian units which begin the game in the Pacific theater, or to Russian associated or minor ally units. These restrictions are lifted once Russia and Germany go to war or when RGT reach 50.
- Ten Russian 2-3 infantry units, four Russian 3-3 infantry units and six Russian 3-5 armor units must end their turn within four hexes of an Axis-controlled east Prussian, Baltic or Polish hex, or an Axis-controlled or neutral Rumanian hex.
- 15 Russian AAF must end their turn within three hexes of an Axis-controlled east Prussian, Baltic or Polish hex.
C. RUSSIAN PRODUCTION: Russian production is subject to the same limits as for other major powers (42.16), whether or not Russia and Germany have gone to war. Produced Russian units may be deployed without restriction.
D. RUSSIAN DECLARATION OF WAR ON NEUTRAL MINOR COUNTRIES: If the RGT level is 25 or greater, Russia may declare war on bordering minor countries which are not controlled by the Axis and in which Germany has no economic interest.
E. RUSSIAN DECLARATION OF WAR ON ECONOMICALLY PENETRATED MINOR COUNTRIES: If the RGT level is 35 or greater, Russia may declare war on bordering minor countries in which Germany has an economic interest but not on bordering minor countries which Germany controls.
F. RUSSIAN SURPRISE EFFECTS: If the RGT level is less than 40 at the moment Germany declares war on Russia, the following apply in the first turn of a German invasion, in addition to all normal modifiers and movement impairments:
o Russian armor units adjacent to Axis-controlled hexes at the start of the Axis player turn have no ZoC.
- During the Axis movement phase:
o Russian armor units which are not adjacent to Axis-controlled hexes cause Axis ground units to expend only one additional movement factor to leave a hex in their ZoC or to move from one such hex to another, rather than the normal two additional movement factors. During exploitation movement, the ZoC of Russian armor units impairs Axis movement normally.
G. GERMAN OIL SUPPLIES: If the RGT level is 45 or greater, Russia may cut off Germany's oil supplies if it controls Ploesti or any minor country through which Germany must trace an oil supply line.
- During the Axis movement phase and regular combat, Russian infantry units in eastern Poland, the Baltic States and Russia that are overrun or attacked by at least one Axis armor unit are subject to a -1 DM unless defending in an objective hex or IC. Other DMs apply normally to such attacks. This -1 DM does not apply to Russian units in the Finnish border hexes, Bessarabia or conquered Balkan countries and does not apply during exploitation movement and combat.
- During the Axis player turn, Russian air units have their Air Nationality DRM reduced by one.
- During the Russian player turn following the Axis attack, Russian armor units have a movement factor of two and Russian infantry units have a movement factor of one. Russian specialized units and Russian units in the Pacific theater move normally.
- The above impairments also apply to Russian associated and minor ally units outside their home country.
H. RUSSIAN DECLARATION OF WAR ON GERMANY: If the RGT level is 50 or greater, Russia may declare war on Germany.