Sequence of Play
- Choose patrol hex.
- Pay BRPs.
- Move naval force toward patrol hex.
- Patrol force enters a new hex.
- Resolve any naval interception in that hex.
- If the patrol wins, it may continue on or abort.
- If the interceptor wins, it may remain in the hex as a defensive patrol.
- If no interception occurs, fast-carrier NAS may counterair from that hex.
- Land-based air units may attack the patrol in that hex.
- Patrol reaches its patrol hex.
Patrol may follow this sequence as long as it inflicted some damage in the previous round:
- Resolve any naval interception.
- Patrol conducts one round of counterair attacks and/or air strikes against enemy bases.
- Patrol decides to stay in patrol hex or return to port.
- If patrol returns to base, it may be intercepted.
- If the patrol stays, it may be intercepted with eight dice.
- If unopposed it, (or if it is intercepted, then the victor) has the option of staying in the patrol hex during the ensuing combat phase.
- May do any one of the following with its surviving NAS:
- Ground support for movement-phase overruns or combat-phase ground combat.
- Intercept DAS provided against movement-phase overruns or combat-phase ground combat.
- Participate in naval battles arising out of combat-phase counter-interceptions.
- May counter-intercept in support of intercepted friendly force(s).
- If successful, the patrol may remain in the counter-interception hex and may provide GS or intercept DAS.
- If defeated, the patrol returns to base.
- If unable to intercept, the patrol returns to its patrol hex.
- Patrol independently.
- Remain in their hex until they attack, or until the end of the opposing player turn, whichever comes first.
- Are subject to a single-sortie air attack during the enemy's movement phase.
Defensive patrols: (victorious interceptors or second-turn submarines)
- May, during the movement phase, intercept sea supply, sea transport or displaced naval units.
- May, during the combat phase, intercept naval missions, lingering patrols or displaced naval units.
- Patrol returns to base.